Roasted cauliflower is in my top five favourite vegetables. Cover it in cheesy cream sauce and you're good to go! This is my healthier take on this delightful dish.
Ok I know this doesn't look like THE BEST THING EVER. But it is seriously - it's a wow delish side dish.
The secret is in the sauce. Veganaise (a vegan's answer to mayonaise) makes up the bulk of the mixture. I first learned about veganaise through Gwyneth Paltrow's cook book My Father's Daughter. Apparently she spreads it on everything. And if it's good enough for GP then it's good enough for CP (me). You can find it at most health food or speciality grocery stores.
And on another note - capers. I have a strange love affair with these salty treats. I have at least three jars in the fridge at all times. They just go great with everything - chicken, fish, pasta. They add a great natural saltiness.
I made this for dinner last night and the flavours were perfect together. The truffle cream sauce takes two seconds to make. I like to roast the cauliflower before and add the sauce just before serving. Make sure it's hot hot hot.
- One cauliflower head
- 1/2 cup veganaise
- 1 tbsp lime juice (half a regular lime)
- 1 tbsp truffle oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup capers
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Cut your Cauliflower into chunks (or as chefs often say "flourettes"!)
- Spread out the cauliflower on a baking sheet and cover with a drizzle of olive oil
- Bake for 40 minutes until tender
Fried Capers + Truffle Cream Sauce
- Fry capers in 1 tbsp of olive oil for 2-3 minutes until they start to turn slightly brown.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl mix together the veganaise, lime juice, truffle oil.
- Mix in fried capers to the cream and serve hot!