After a long winter my locks are in deep need of a deep conditioning!
Besides leaving your hair silky smooth you will also smell like a candy bar during this treatment – dogs LOVE it! Coconut oil is pretty amazing, I find myself using it more and more lately. It's the new kale! Did you know that there are 101 uses for coconut oil?
What you will need:
- Big scoop of coconut oil – I get mine at Whole Foods – it usually comes in a jar.
- Hair cap – optional
- Hair clip or tie
1. Scoop out a handful of virgin coconut oil. The oil will begin to melt at the touch of your skin, there is no need to heat the oil before application. It will melt as you massage it into your hair.
2. Flip your head upside down and slowly spread the oil through your hair. Saturate your hair completely, focusing on areas that are dry – for me that's the ends.
3. Once your hair is soaked with oil, twist your hair into a bun or ponytail. You can clip it in place by grabbing some hair from your scalp and part of the bun, or use a hair tie to keep it in place.
4. Cover your hair with a shower cap. You can choose to apply heat or not. Applying heat will open the cuticle of each strand so the coconut oil can penetrate the core faster. Leave the coconut oil on your hair for at least 30 minutes without heat, or 15 minutes with heat. I didn't heat my hair and it turned out great.
5. Once your time is up wash and condition your hair as you normally would. You may need to wash your hair twice to rinse away all of the oil. I really focus on my roots and try to shampoo my ends as little as needed. Style your hair and be amazed at your soft, smooth hair!